Saturday, July 23, 2011

With Green Tomatoes


With Green Tomatoes As you know, I lost my tomato plants to counter. But my girls and I spent one morning and out of the tomatoes were picked to us - red and green, heavy on the green. I had never been anything before with green tomatoes. Sunday. . here have been flooded with 'em. This is what I find to do with them. Since I was very pleased with the results I am sharing with you. I was going to canned apple pie filling and had lots of apples on hand. The mincement this recipe with green tomatoesmade my apple go even further - bonus! Here are the recipes that I have: Canned Tomato Mincemeat Green 3 liters of finely chopped green tomatoes, peeled 3 liters, apples, finely chopped 1 cup oil (original recipe included bacon fat or lard - I used 3 / 4 cup of oil actually ) £ 1. raises (I 2 kg. in my second game, when I had some green tomatoes) 2 tbsp. grated orange peel 2 tablespoons lemon rind 5 cups well-packed brown sugar 3 / 4 c. Vinegar (apple vinegar, I) 2.1 c. fresh lemonJuice of 1 / 2 c. 1 tablespoon water. ground cinnamon 1 / 4 teaspoon each: cloves, ground allspice, (I also nutmeg) 2 tsp. Salt Mix all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer over low heat until dark and thick - about 2.5 hours. Stir from time to time. Pour boiling hot into pint glasses sterolized, so that 1 / 2 "of headroom and procedures in a water bath canner for 25 minutes. Makes 8 pints +, enough to (8) 9" Green Tomato Cake 4 c. cake 1 chopped green tomatoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment